Welcome to the Washington State Urology Society
The Washington State Urology Society is comprised of urologic physicians and other healthcare providers who are working to uphold the highest standards of urologic care and patient advocacy by promoting research, education, access to treatment options and innovation in urologic care. We have an obligation to our members and, more importantly, our patients to play an active role in achieving these goals.
Our membership consists of urologists, physician assistants, practice administrators and industry partners that strive "To enhance the delivery and quality of urologic care through education and advocacy for patients and physicians." Our members serve more than 95% of all hospitals within the State of Washington and provide urological care to both rural and urban communities across the state. We strive to have board representation from all major regions of the state as well as a voice for all types of urological patients we serve.
What is urology and what does a urologist do?
The Washington State Urology Society hosts meetings for its members and actively participates in events and activities that are in alignment with its mission throughout the year. See our CALENDAR
Continuing to provide new services to our members and the community
Men's Urologic Health
The Men's Health advocacy, outreach and education efforts are led by WSUS Past President and Men's Health Chairman, Richard Pelman MD. Under his leadership the goals of the Men's Health Committee is
to enlighten and facilitate health information dissemination regarding health maintenance, healthy lifestyle choices,and current campaigns in male health for Males of all ages.
Important current male health efforts that are celebrated nationally are:
Current links for information may be found at:
The Partnership for Male Youth: ayamalehealth.org
American Urological Association Male Health Checklist: auanet.org/publications/mens-health-checklist.
Men’s Health Network: www.menshealthnetwork.org
Zero - The End of Prostate Cancer: www.zerocancer.org
US Too International: www.ustoo.org
NEW PODCAST in 2019
"The Original Guide to Men's Health"
Have you listened? We're launched.
iPhone, podcast app
Search: The Original Guide to Men's Health
Women's Urologic Health
The Women's Health advocacy, outreach and education efforts are led by WSUS Board Member, Una Lee MD. Under her leadership, the WSUS strives to bring a spotlight to needs of women's health care. While urology has traditionally been thought of as a men's specialty due to the treatment of the prostate and the male reproductive organs, women's genito-urinary needs are a key area of the urologic specialty. This takes shape in many forms as nearly all urologic conditions affect both men and women. There are many areas of urology and nearly all affect girls and women:
•Pediatric Urology (Children's urology)
•Urologic Oncology (Urologic cancers)
•Male Infertility (Difficulty conceiving)
•Urinary tract stones
•Female Urology/Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery/Urogynecology
•Neuro-urology (Nervous system control of genitourinary organs)
The WSUS aims to advocate for the health of girls and women of all ages, by maintaining a healthy genito-urinary system and making well-informed choices about their health. A secondary aim of the Women's Health committee is to facilitate and mobilize women in urology as providers and advocates for women's health in the State of Washington. Nationally, Women Urologists are only 7% of practicing urologists, but we are fortunate in Washington State to have many more women urologists to serve our communities. WSUS supports the needs of all its members, and listens to the unique needs of women surgeons and provides opportunities to advocate, educate, build community, and facilitate discussion.
Important initiatives by the WSUS Women's Health Committee include:
* Raising awareness of Bladder Health month in November
* Annual Women in Urology Fall Leadership Event (Over 40 Women Urologists in the State of Washington attended this event to build community and discuss leadership each year)
Pediatric Urologic Health
Pediatric urologic health advocacy, outreach and education efforts are led by WSUS Board Member, Kathleen Kieran MD of Seattle Children's Hospital. This is a newly created chairmanship as of December 2017. Join us in welcoming Dr. Kieran to this new committee of the Washington State Urology Society.
Current advocacy issues affecting urologic care
The health policy advocacy efforts are led by WSUS Past President and Government Affairs Chairman, Jeff Frankel MD. Each January, the executive board meets at its executive board retreat to discuss issues brought to our attention that are impacting our members and patients we serve to establish a priority list of health policy advocacy efforts for the coming legislative sessions.
2019 Priorities are: (LISTED IN NO SPECIAL ORDER)
* Continuity of care for patients (providers and treatments)
* Prior authorization simplification to increase efficiencies and ultimately lower cost of care
* Preserve diagnostic and treatment options for our members in order to provide optimal diagnostic and treatment options for the patients we serve
* U.S. Preventive Service Task Force (USPSTF) accountability and transparency to aid in protecting urologic patients from decisions of the task force.
* Repeal Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB)
* Opioid crisis
* Reduce or Eliminate the practice of Step Therapy and Fail First Protocols to improve the quality and safety of patient care
* ALL health policy specifically addressing a urologic cancer, disorder or disease. (ex. increase funding for urologic research.)
* Telemedicine to increase access to urologic care in rural communities
* Administrative simplification
* Interstate Licensure Compact
Contact the WSUS office if you would like to be an advocate for your community and the needs of patients and urology practices across Washington.
Advocacy opportunities include:
* WSUS Annual Urology Legislative Day (OLYMPIA, WA)
* Appointments with your legislator or member of Congress in your district
* AACU 2019 Annual Meeting @ Willard (WASHINGTON, DC)
* AUA Annual Urology Advocacy Summit
Your membership and participation is vital to fulfilling our mission
Corporate member are non-voting members of the society who are committed to supporting the WSUS mission of "enhancing the delivery and quality of urologic care through education and advocacy for patients and physicians."